Petrale Sole are considered to be the most flavorful and desirable of Pacific Flounders, with a mild, delicately nutty flavor and a hint of sweetness. Petrale sole is an excellent source of low-fat protein and calcium. It is a bottom dweller fish, very similar to halibut.
At Newman’s, we sell a delicious Petrale Sole that is caught at the Oregon Coast. It is flaky, low fat, and is often breaded prior to pan-frying or baking.
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 15-20 MINUTES
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 4-ounce skinless, boneless sole or other thin fish fillets, patted dry
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees and place a large oven-safe plate or baking sheet inside.
2. Place flour on a large, shallow plate. Season both sides of fish fillets with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge fish in flour, shaking off excess.
3. In a 12-inch nonstick or enamel-lined skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons clarified butter until bubbling. Place half of the fish fillets in the pan and cook until just done, 2 to 3 minutes per side, then transfer to the plate or baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Add 2 more tablespoons clarified butter to skillet and heat until bubbling, then cook remaining fillets. Wipe out the skillet.
4. Arrange the fish on a warm serving platter. Top with parsley. In reserved skillet, heat remaining 4 tablespoons unsalted butter until bubbling and golden, 1 to 2 minutes, then pour evenly over fillets. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges on the side.
Recipe source: The New York Times
WANT FRESH PETRALE SOLE DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR?
Newman’s is the premier fish and seafood provider in Portland, Oregon. Enjoy five-star seafood in the comfort of your own home, delivered straight to your door. Once we receive the fish, it is immediately cut, vacuum packed, and flash frozen to our high standards. Vacuum packing and flash freezing preserves the freshness, integrity, and quality of the fish. Learn more about our commitment to quality, freshness, flavor and sustainability here.
At Newman’s Fish Market, you can easily place your order online today and we generally ship Wednesday, for Thursday delivery. Once your order is shipped, it will be delivered to you via Fedex. For orders in the greater Portland Market, Newman’s Fish will hand deliver your order to your doorstep. We offer free shipping to Washington and Oregon on orders over $185.
Click here to order Petrale Sole.