Charcuterie is the art of preparing and curing meats. It is a culinary tradition that dates back centuries! Charcuterie makers are considered to be true artisans, and in this Fish By Friday, we’re going to show you how you can become a charcuterie master using fresh products from Newman’s!
The word charcuterie comes from the French term charcutier, which means “pork butcher.” Charcuterie was originally created as a way to preserve meat before the advent of refrigeration. However, charcuterie has come to encompass much more than just cured meats.
Today, charcuterie can refer to any type of cooked or cured meat, poultry, or fish. Charcuterie can also be made from vegetarian ingredients, such as roasted tofu, fig salami, or grilled vegetables.
Charcuterie can be enjoyed as an appetizer or a main course. It pairs well with wine, and is a great addition to any party or gathering!
PREP TIME: 5-10 MINUTES | COOK TIME: NO COOKING NEEDED
One of the great parts about charcuterie is that there isn’t a right or wrong way to do it! You can put whatever ingredients you like on your charcuterie board. Get creative and have fun with it! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Smoked salmon (get it here)
- Cured meats (prosciutto is a popular choice!)
- Goat cheese with herbs/berries, then add a harder cheese to even things out. We love using gruyere or aged cheddar!
- Crackers (Multigrain artisan crackers, lightly salted crackers, tostinis)
- Capers or olives
- Dips and spreads
- Cream cheese with dill
- Sliced produce such as cucumbers, celery, red onion, tomatoes, avocadoes, pomegranate and lemon are all good options. Squeezed lemon on top of your fish is particularly tasty!
- Other fun things to throw in the mix include spiced nuts, hard-boiled egg slices, cider mustard (or something tart), sprigs of herbs such as rosemary or dill, berry jam.
1. Choose your ingredients. Fresh, high-quality meats are essential for charcuterie. At Newman’s, we have a variety of fresh smoked fish that are perfect for charcuterie and already smoked so they can be served without any extra work.
2. Prepare your charcuterie board. Start by finding a board or platter that you like. A wooden charcuterie board is a great way to display and serve your charcuterie items. Then, arrange your charcuterie items on the board. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you like! Be sure to include a variety of items so you and your guests have a lot of delicious choices to mix up flavors and textures.
3. Enjoy! Once your charcuterie board is all set, it’s time to enjoy! Be sure to invite your friends and family over to share in the fun!
Charcuterie is a delicious way to enjoy smoked fish, and at Newman’s we have two types of tasty, smoked salmon: Wild Smoked Coho Salmon and Wild Smoked Chinook Salmon. We also have peppered versions of these smoked fish.
Wild Smoked Coho Salmon has been called one of the best-tasting salmon. It is a great choice for charcuterie because it has an incredible, delicate flavor that pairs well with other charcuterie items. Coho Salmon’s meat is a beautifully rich, reddish-orange color, making it a visually stunning addition to your charcuterie board.
Wild Smoked Chinook Salmon has a more pronounced buttery, rich taste. They are the most highly prized salmon in the culinary world. If you have Chinook Salmon on your charcuterie board, you’re certain to receive compliments!
Our smoked salmon products are smoked in-house with unrefined sea salt, unrefined organic cane sugar, pepper, bay leaves, and natural hardwood smoke. No preservatives or nitrates.
WANT SMOKED SALMON DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR?
Newman’s is the premier fish and seafood provider in Portland, Oregon. Enjoy five-star seafood in the comfort of your own home, delivered straight to your door. We carefully inspect, wash, smoke in-house, and vacuum pack the salmon, eliminating two links in the distribution chain. This results in a significantly higher quality product! Learn more about our commitment to quality, freshness, flavor and sustainability here.
At Newman’s Fish Market, you can easily place your order online today and we generally ship Wednesday, for Thursday delivery. Once your order is shipped, it will be delivered to you via Fedex. For orders in the greater Portland Market, Newman’s Fish will hand deliver your order to your doorstep. We offer free shipping to Washington and Oregon on orders over $185.
Click here to get wild smoked salmon delivered to your door.